20 October 2009

Prayer for the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit


O Lord Jesus Christ,
before ascending into heaven you did promise
to send the Holy Spirit to finish your work
in the souls of your Apostles and Disciples,
deign to grant the same Holy Spirit to me
that He may perfect in my soul,
the work of your grace and your love.

Grant me the Spirit of Wisdom
that I may despise the perishable things of this world
and aspire only after the things that are eternal,
the Spirit of Understanding to enlighten my mind
with the light of your divine truth,
the Spirit of Counsel that I may ever choose
the surest way of pleasing God and gaining heaven,
the Spirit of Fortitude that I may bear my cross
with you and that I may overcome with courage
all the obstacles that oppose my salvation,
the Spirit of Knowledge that I may know God
and know myself and grow perfect in imitation
of the Saints,
the Spirit of Piety that I may find
the service of God sweet and amiable, and
the Spirit of Fear that I may be filled with
a loving reverence towards God and
may dread in any way to displease Him.

Mark me, dear Lord with the sign of your true disciples,
and animate me in all things with your Spirit.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment